What Is Pain and Suffering Worth in a Lawsuit?

Pain and suffering are unique human experiences, and the courts recognize that one person’s quality of life can be significantly altered by the negligence or criminal intent of another person. Personal injury law aims to demand compensation from a person responsible for economic and non-economic damage.

Economic damages are those that can be calculated based on the material costs you incurred as a result of a car accident, slipping and falling, or any other type of accident. Examples of economic damage are:

Damage to property: The vehicle you were driving at the time of the accident or any other damage to your property as a result of the accident.

Medical expenses: The total amount of your medical bills upon receipt treatment for your personal injury.

Loss of earnings: If you were unable to work after your car accident but were able to return, the amount that you would have earned if you were able to work is calculated when determining the severance payment.

Lost future wages: However, if you were unable to return to work or were disabled and cannot return to your previous job, your future loss of income will be calculated based on your salary or hourly wage.

Estimated future expenses: If your injuries require ongoing medical treatment, such as: B. physiotherapy, the amount that you still need will be charged.

What is not economic damage?

Non-economic losses are those that cannot be calculated as easily as those listed above. This includes pain and suffering such as disfigurement and the loss of a normal life. With a decreased ability to work, engage in family activities, and lead an independent life that was previously enjoyed, a person’s quality of life can also be significantly affected.

How are pain and suffering calculated?

After all of your economic losses have been calculated, they are multiplied by a number between 1.5 and 5. The insurance expert will not tell you which number to choose when determining the offer. In the event of loss of life or disfigurement, the multiplier can be higher.

For example, if you have a job that earns you $ 900 a week and you were unemployed for two weeks because of your injuries, your compensation for lost work time is $ 1,800. You also have a total of $ 3,000 that you owe for your medical care after your accident. You are owed $ 4,800 between your medical bills and the missed job. Your compensation is typically between $ 7,200 and $ 24,000, which is $ 4,800 multiplied by 1.5 and 5, respectively.

Why you need a personal injury attorney

Your attorney can present your case in a way that maximizes your chances of getting maximum compensation for your injuries. Remember, however, that insurance companies are trying to save money for themselves, so you need someone by your side to fight for your interests. Specialist lawyers for personal injury can answer questions about your personal injury.

Comments are closed.