Photo courtesy Stewart J. Guss Injury Accident Attorneys
Our My Top 5 series highlights Houstonians who help shape and support the character of Greater Houston and encourages them to share their favorite things to do in the city during their free time. This week we’re excited to introduce Stewart Guss, personal injury attorney and founder of Houston’s Unsung Greats “HUG” Awards, who shares his five favorite Houston destinations and activities.
My top 5 things to do in Houston
by Stewart cast
- Appreciate the art in the menil – With their amazing collection of Surrealist and Dadaist works, I really believe that the Menil Collection is one of the most beautiful museum gems in the country. While studying law at the University of Houston Law Center, I spent many weekends in awe of the art at the Menil or contemplating at the Rothko Chapel. Bonus: It’s always free! In the Menil bookstore, too, I always find unexpected treasures.
- Sit back with Kenny and Ziggy – As a kid, I spent a lot of time in NYC Delis when visiting my grandparents in the Lower East Side. Kenny and Ziggy’s on Post Oak get it right and bring back all memories. Fresh bagels, great service and generous portions – what more could you want?
- On the barbecue trail – For those carnivorous connoisseurs out there, it’s no secret that Houston has become one of the best BBQ destinations in the South. We have some of the best and tastiest barbecues the world has ever seen and all of the top locations are well worth checking out! My personal recommendations are Corkscrew, Tejas and Truth BBQ. A hearty helping of mac and cheese is a must!
- Take a stroll through the Galleria – When it comes to shopping, Houston’s Galleria can’t be beat … but people watching can be even more spectacular! Come by and enjoy a fun afternoon without pulling a dime out of your pocket. The ice rink right next to the food court is my favorite place to chill – pun intended – and enjoy the hustle and bustle of our vibrant city.
- Road trip to Galveston Beach – My dad worked for NASA and I grew up in Clear Lake so going to Galveston was always special. It’s a piece of my childhood that I built into my own children’s lives. There’s nothing like spending a day at the beach and then strolling through the old buildings and fantastic restaurants in the Strand Historic District. Check out the Grand 1894 Opera House or enjoy drinks and food at the Brews Brothers.
over Stewart cast
Stewart Guss, a Houston personal injury attorney, has practiced personal injury law for over 20 years. Guss received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Texas at Austin and his doctorate in law from the University of Houston Law Center. Since starting his own personal injury law firm in Houston in 1999, he has earned national recognition by representing clients around the world on the most serious and catastrophic claims for damages. Stewart is a firm believer in the need to “prepay” and is also an active philanthropist. In addition to sponsoring annual college scholarships, he initiated, directed, and financed the Unsung Greats “HUG” Awards in Houston. Stewart supports numerous charities, including Reach Unlimited and the Texas MS 150, and is also an arts patron who supports both the Stageworks Theater and the Gilbert and Sullivan Society of Houston. Today Stewart lives in northwest Houston with his wife, two teenage children, and two dogs.
Previous articleWatch Memorial Day 2021 ceremonies and events in HoustonNext article5 Things to Do near River Oaks
Secrets, favorites, tips, and fresh ideas for enjoying everyday life in and around Houston