Medical bills more than other person’s insurance | Ask The Attorney

Q: I was in a car accident and my medical bills were more than anyone else’s. What am I doing?

Ashley, Town Creek, Alabama

A: We see this situation quite often.

Do you have health insurance, Medicaid or Medicare? Make sure they pay first as they will get a significant discount on bills.

Second, do you have medical coverage for your car?

Third, do you have uninsured car insurance? When you do, the Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Cover (UM / UIM) provides an additional source of compensation for an injured person if the person who caused the accident is either not insured or their insurance limits fail to pay your bills .

There are numerous issues involved in handling a UM / UIM claim that need to be addressed on a case-by-case basis. Often there is more than one policy that provides additional coverage by “stacking” more than one policy. Once you know the available insurance limits of the person who caused the accident, as well as the insurances available, you can come to terms with the person who caused the accident and / or their insurance company. A special version called “Pro Tanto Release” must be given, or this reporting will not be available.

Uninsured / underinsured drivers can be difficult. Often times, insurance carriers will only allow the mistake of accepting money from the culprit driver and losing your right to more money. If you have a question, give me or Joel a call.

Buckle up, drive safely and as always, your recommendations will be appreciated! 256-764-0112

Ask the Attorney is sponsored by local attorneys McCutcheon & Hamner, PC, as a service to residents of NW Alabama.

Please send the questions to:

“Ask the lawyer”

P.O. Box 38,

Florence, Alabama 35631

or visit our website at:

Facebook: McCutcheon and Hamner, PC

We will not print your full name in the item. We cannot return written or preprinted items that have been submitted.

No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be provided will be superior to the quality of legal services provided by other lawyers.

Comments are closed.