Driving under the influence is a serious crime and can result in serious automobile accidents, injury, and even death.
While a drunk driver is likely to face criminal charges for driving under the influence, that conviction will not provide victims with compensation for their injuries, lost wages, or emotional distress.
Georgia law gives victims of drunk road accidents the right to file a lawsuit of death or personal injury to seek compensation. However, according to the Georgian statute of limitations, victims must file these lawsuits within two years of the date of the accident.
If you were in a drunken traffic accident in Georgia, you may be eligible for compensation for your injuries and economic damage. Here’s what you need to know about your rights as an accident victim. If you want to learn more about your case, contact our personal injury attorneys today to arrange your free consultation.
Compensation for drunk driving accidents
Unlike traditional car accidents, drunk driving accidents are associated with criminal activity and willful negligence.
When a drunk person gets behind the wheel, they are making a conscious decision to drive without the proper level of alertness and awareness to avoid accidents. As a result, victims of these accidents have the right to seek punitive damages of up to $ 250,000.
Since Georgian law requires motorists to purchase accident insurance of at least $ 25,000, victims may be able to get that full amount as well.
In addition to punitive damages, victims may also be entitled to compensation to compensate for the pain and suffering they suffered as a result of the accident. This compensation can cover damage such as:
- Economic damage, including medical bills, damage to your vehicle, and lost wages
- Emotional damage, including pain from injury and mental and emotional distress
If the drunken traffic accident resulted in death, victims could also seek compensation for funeral expenses.
If you’ve had a drunk traffic accident and want to commence a personal injury lawsuit, it is best to contact a knowledgeable auto accident attorney.
What you should do
Victims of drunk traffic accidents are often tempted to leave the incident behind and forget about it. However, getting compensation through a personal injury lawsuit could be the best way to get away from this incident.
After your drunk traffic accident, you should collect as much information as possible about the accident in order to serve as evidence in your case. Following these steps can help make it easier to file a personal injury lawsuit and get compensation:
- Medical treatment by a doctor: If you or passengers have been injured in a drunken traffic accident, the first thing you should do is consult a doctor. Your doctor will document every aspect of your care, and you can use this documentation as evidence during personal injury proceedings.
- Request a crash report from the police: Your next step should be to get a copy of the crash report from the police station. This document also serves as evidence of your lawsuit.
- Review the report and determine its accuracy: The accident report includes information such as the time and date of the accident, your condition, and the condition of the drunk driver. Make sure this information is 100% correct to support your case.
- Request changes: If you find any inconsistencies in your crash report, you should ask the police to make appropriate changes to reflect the issue.
- Contact a Professional Car Accident Lawyer: A qualified team of accident lawyers will examine your case, collect all the necessary information and documents and help you to prove negligence. Trying to navigate a personal injury lawsuit on your own can result in you losing hundreds of thousands of dollars – our personal injury attorneys can help.
Contact our experienced auto accident attorneys
As a Georgia resident, you are entitled to compensation after being a victim of a drunk road traffic accident. However, many accident victims neglect to file lawsuits within a reasonable timeframe or feel intimidated at the thought of navigating the legal system and lose hundreds of thousands of dollars in the process.
The best way to get fair compensation for your suffering is to turn to a personal injury attorney for assistance. Our auto accident attorneys know how traumatic a drunk traffic accident can be. That’s why we do everything we can to make the process as easy and painless as possible.
Our team will help you to collect all relevant documents, to communicate with those involved and to present your case in court precisely and convincingly. We will work hard for you throughout the process, using our expertise and skills to represent you well.
If you’ve been involved in a drunk traffic accident, we may be able to help you. Contact Greathouse Trial Law, LLC at 678-310-2827 today for a free consultation.
Disclaimer: The information in this blog post (“Post”) is for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. The information contained in this post should not be construed as legal advice to the individual author or the law firm, nor is it intended as a substitute for legal advice on any particular topic. No reader of this post should act on or dispense with the information contained in or accessible through this post without seeking appropriate legal or other professional advice as to the particular facts and circumstances at issue with an attorney that is approved by the recipient state, state, or other suitable licensing jurisdiction.
Copyright © 2021. Greathouse Trial Law. All rights reserved.
Greathouse Trial Law
260 Peachtree Street NW
Atlanta, GA 30303